Monday, April 18, 2016

Day 6 - Wekiva River to Goat Island

Could not post yesterday's files until I arrived Goat Island this morning.  Been getting up about 5 am or so, since I go to bed close to dark.  Had coffee and left over chocolate chip cookies I baked yesterday morning.  Did my regular morning Bible reading then started motoring as soon as it was light enough to see.  Good thing! Going down river in some current 1-2 knots, in very narrow places, made for some interesting steering responses.  You have to stay on your toes since this boat has no keel and slips and slides like you're on ice!  A little guide strip down the middle would likely help with directional control.

This is the actual St. Johns River,
gives you an idea of the size.
                                                                   DAY 6 TRACK
Click to Enlarge



Today was like yesterday never happened!!  I motored all the way back up to Goat Island and had not one boat pass me, nor did I meet any boats, but did see three boats of fishermen.  Amazing what one day can do.  Actually, I had more traffic behind Goat Island once parked.  Seven or eight boats went by gawking, including the tour boat, need to find another place off the beaten track!  Some stop and tell me they are going to take pictures, most just take them.

I one point I was confused since the boats should go around my bow, but a boat was passing astern!


See lily pad patch in the middle, 
I was stuck in the middle of it!
Turns out the whole patch of lily pads had broken off with me in tow and dragged me to the other side of the river!  (See pic above)  Trying to get out of the mess was something else!  Took about fifteen minutes to hack through weeds with the motor.

Need some kind of pole to push off when you get stuck or to pick up things if dropped in the water. I've had several items go over the side: including a pail, my chair (umbrella up and wind blew it off), my towel (again wind), etc.  Most were recovered but I had to find make shift tools to retrieve them. Need a boat hook maybe with a duck bill attachment on-board! Most of the time I tie things to the boat like the pail.

Also, for safety a ladder that can be reached from the water needs to be rigged, either one that can be pulled down or one permanently mounted.  A combined ladder/push bar rig mounted on the bow, could also help protect the bow during bow on tie ups. Not sure I could get back aboard if I fell off?  I did take the rope ladder and kind of rigged it on a bow cleat so I could maybe reach it from the water.  Not planning to test it!

Made a nice lunch of cheesy hash browns, with extra cheese, bacon bits, and two eggs mixed with some milk.  Sides were wheat toast, raspberry jelly, and grapefruit.  Accompanied with plenty of OJ.


The boats keep streaming by, not sure if the word is out or what?  I've seen more traffic here then all morning on the Wekiva and St. Johns!  Strange.

For afternoon activity I set up the chair and umbrella on the fore-deck, with all the equipment needed, Pandora playing on the stereo BT speaker over a connection to my phone inside.  The binocs standing by with camera and tripod. And, of course, a cold glass of white wine while I watch for critters, including some in boats!

Note Osprey nest at top and look closely to
see osprey sitting on limb at bottom center

The Bird

Look closely to see he is holding a fish in his left talon!

This bird had passed by twice and I noticed he was carrying a good size fish both times.  I just knew he was going to come back to the tree across the channel and eventually he did.  I watched him for at least 45 minutes and then went to post this, not once did he chaw on the fish.  Must be saving it for the kiddies but not letting mom know he was taking his good old time hanging out on a limb so to speak!  He probably was looking at me and thinking that is a good way to spend some time, but I need that glass of wine!

Made pizza again for dinner, crust from scratch, sauce, layer of pepperoni slices, layer of Parmesan, some bacon bits, layer of chunky pepperoni, layer of mozzarella, then bake for 27 minutes in oven.  Results below:


Just add a cold beer.  Too big for me so will save half for lunch or dinner tomorrow.

Went back out to check on my fine feathered friend and he was still there, but he must have been hungry too since he went at his fish in a frenzy.




Right after this he took off with what remained.  So I guess he decided to eat the best parts and take the remnants home for the kids and mom!  He did not return, so the nest was not his and may not be in use.

Sat out for an hour after a hot shower and enjoyed the evening sounds with a glass of red wine and some chocolates.  Will post this and hit the sack to read before bed, to sleep by nine pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment