Thursday, April 21, 2016

Day 9 Bolts Creek to N. Shell Marina

Last day.

Heading up to Shady Oak for breakfast, then on to the marina. Easy docking at Shady Oak:

Shady Oak Restaurant
Had a great breakfast, only one other guy in there talking to the waitress. Nevertheless, food was good.  Dumped garbage and picked up some ice. Departed the restaurant and passed under the bridge for the last leg of the trip:

Heading North on the St. Johns from Shady Oak

Headed down the St Johns for a short distance and headed up the Highland which connects to the creek to the marina:

Entering the Highland Canal
Looking out toward the St. Johns River from the Highland
Saw one last bird to photograph:

One  last bird pic
Made the turn SE toward the marina, on approach it is a narrow entrance and today was windy so I kept my speed up going in:

North Shell Marina Entrance
At the marina launching dock:

At the marina dock
I lied, there is one more bird I could not pass up. This Sandhill Crane was semi tame and came within 15 feet so I could not resist. He was next to my car as I was about to leave the marina:

Sandhill Crane at the Marina
I don't consider them a bird that can
be tamed but this bird had no fear.

Up close and personal
I am now in Georgia on my way home. It was a great trip and I will likely return. Lots of fun on a small boat.  Track for day 9 and the last day of the trip is below.

                                                Day 9 - Bolts Creek to N. Shell Marina
Click to Enlarge

Trip distance totals were 68.2 nautical miles (NM) or 78.4 statute miles (SM) and average distances per day were 8.5 NM or 9.8 SM, helpful for planning purposes.

Here is the complete track for the total trip if interested:

                                          Complete Trip Track-Shanty Boat 2016
Click To Enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment